We Love Shower Head Water Softeners, & By The End Of This Article, You Will Too...
Not satisfied with the quality of water at your home? Sick of that rotten egg smell coming from your bathroom drains?
If you answered yes to the above questions, chances are you have a popular lime and scale cleaner stashed away to clean the bathtub each week. Thats all about to change with these wonderful products for your home!
With these water softening shower heads, you are sure to have clean water coming out of your pipes, and for the most part clean water mean odour-less stream as well. You will be able to enjoy your time in the shower way more with these products that we have reviewed on this page. We have chosen only the top models for this particular review, so rest assured that only top-notch brands are included in the list below.
The nonprofit Natural Resource Defense Council has done studies that indicate in 19 of the larger cities of our nation, levels of contamination exceed the EPA stated limits for contaminants. Even though water can meet the required purity at its source, its travel through water distribution systems can cause contaminants.
So what can you do about it?
In a nutshell - you can install a whole house water softener (or filter) system, OR install a shower head water softener or filter.
The 4 Best Water Softener Shower Heads - Our 2017 Review
We've done the hard yards and researched the 4 best shower head water softener systems, based on customer reviews, features, warranties and prices. View a summary in the table below, and scroll down for more information on each system...
- The Culligan Level 2 Inline Shower Filter
- 10 000 gallons
- 3.5 x 7.5 x 10
- (4.5 / 5)
The Culligan Wall-Mount 10,000 Gallon Capacity Filtered Shower Head
- Capacity: 10 000 gallons
- Dimensions: 5 x 9 x 13 inches
- Replacement Filter Cost: $10-$20
4.8 out of 5 stars
This is a customer favorite on Amazon and it’s easy to see why.
Not only do you get a softening solution, you get multiple settings for the spray head from feeling like gentle rain to full massage. All you have to do is remove your existing shower head and put this one on at the same joint, and the filters are inexpensive and easily replaced when needed.
The unit is easily cleaned if the spray nozzles become clogged and a great change from the usual water softening shower head.
- Designed to be installed as a fixed shower head - five year warranty
- Reduces 99% of chlorine, sulfur odor, and scale
- Filter lasts 10,000 gallons or 6 months under normal usage and costs under $15.00
- Made of chrome-colored plastic
- Shower's water stream is less than five inches wide
- The massage setting can be a little brisk if you have sensitive skin, but try it out
Best suited for - anyone who wants a quick shower water softener solution at a VERY affordable price. The customer reviews don't lie!
The Culligan Level 2 Inline Shower Head Filter
- Capacity: 10 000 gallons
- Dimensions: 3.5 x 7.5 x 10 inches
- Replacement Filter Cost: $10-$20
4.5 out of 5
This unit just features the inline filter rather than the whole shower head unit, however, it’s possible to purchase a shower head to go with the filter. Whichever you choose, the ease of installation and filter replacement is a plus. Once you’ve installed this system, you just have to decide whether you want a hand-held shower unit to go with it, or a fixed unit.
- Reduces chlorine, sulfur odor, and scale for cleaner skin and bath areas
- Prevents drying of skin and hair; five year warranty
- Replacement filters cost roughly $15 and last six months
- Some individuals reported leaking around the fittings, but you can use plumber's silicone tape to help with this
- Made totally of plastic so be gentle in the installation process so you do not strip threads
- Not as attractive as some installations
Best suited for - customers who want a permanent hard water solution, with the option of changing the shower head to a handheld shower.
The Jonathan Product Beauty Water Shower Head Purification System
- Capacity: 10 000 gallons or 6 months per filter
- Dimensions: 2 x 2 x 2 inches
- Replacement Filter Cost: $30-$50
4.5 out of 5 stars
This product was marketed more as a beauty/cosmetic product than a water softener; It costs a little more, but the results are worth it.
There’s a delightful feel to hair and skin once you use this system; you can forget about the winter itches and rashes that are so prevalent with shower users.
A great deal of literature lauds the advantages of balancing the pH in the water you use for bathing and showering. You will find your hair coloring lasting longer and staying true to color with less brass as you use this system.
- Balances the pH of your shower water, removing synthetic chemicals and toxic heavy gases
- Designed to deliver the "purest of spring water" and has a 100 day warranty
- Filter lasts for about 10,000 gallons of water
- Aligning the system carefully for installation is necessary to make a solid connection with the existing plumbing
- More expensive than other modesl
Best suited for - customers who want a premium shower head water softener that not only softens water, but balances the PH level to leave your skin and hair feeling smooth.
The Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter with Adjustable Shower Head
- Capacity: 10 000 gallons
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 7.2 x 3.2 Inches
- Replacement Filter Cost: $40-$50
4.3 out of 5
This system is a little more pricey however it makes up for it with some great features.
Unlike other water softener shower head systems, this one features a two stage filter system (which remove 91% of chlorine, as well as many other harmful chemicals)
If you want a handheld shower water softener, it’s available in addition to the fixed shower head installation.
- Reduction of 91% of the chlorine added to city water - warranty available
- Your hair will be healthier and perms last longer
- Easily installed by the purchaser to replace existing fixtures
- 2 stage filtration system
- More expensive than other systems
- Unit can be fragile
- Delay to changes in water temperature (approx. 3-5 seconds) once installed
Best suited for - Looking for something that goes one step further than softening water to remove other harmful chemicals? This ones for you..
Shower Head Water Softeners VS. Whole House Systems
Whole-house systems for softening and purifying water are expensive, approaching $1000 and upwards, depending on the size of your house. Professional installation is required to maintain warranties.
Furthermore, most whole-house systems rely upon the use of salts and resins to remove contaminants. Some municipalities, particularly in California, do not allow the use of these systems because they add salt to ground water and further contaminate the water table.
To read more about whole house systems, visit this page!
- Permanent installation
- Local company to stand behind the warranty
- Service available locally
- Commitment to one method of softening
- High cost of purchase, installation, and maintenance
- Some methods of softening restricted, depending upon where you live
Shower Head Water Softeners
Water softening shower heads simply replace your existing shower installation instead!
These cost considerably less than the whole-house system and are ideal for condominium owners and renters.
The convenience of installation and replacement of filters as needed is worth the investment. The results in your shower to protect yourself from chlorine, scale, and sulfur odor are equal to that of a whole-house system at the fraction of the cost!
- Easy installation by the purchaser
- Excellent performance to protect your skin and hair from contaminants
- Protects just one shower
- More frequent filter changes needed - but easier to do
- May have to purchase more than one, depending on the number of showers you have
All in all, as rated by the Water Softener Critic and customers from Amazon.com, the Culligan Wall-Mount 10,000 Gallon Capacity Filtered Shower head is the best option, read our full review of this product here.
A water softening shower head is a great idea, especially if you are reluctant to invest a large amount in a full-house system. Hard water, chlorine, and odor exist almost everywhere in the United States, and softening water leads to cleaner bodies with fewer allergic reactions.
Purchase one of these units as an alternative to full-house systems because you rent or cannot afford the full system. They will make your skin feel better and make your hair more manageable as well as giving you a cleaner body. This, too, is a definite advantage with bathing children and infants.
Here is a helpful video regarding installation, enjoy!
For more information about water softener systems, visit this page for a list of the best products which have been reviewed.
For more information on water softening and water filtering, visit our blog and read through some of our articles.